Business Analysis and System Recommendation
Business Analysis and System Recommendation
Stage 2: Process Analysis
Before you begin work on this assignment, be sure you have read the Case Study and reviewed the feedback received on your Stage 1 assignment.
As the business analyst in the CIO’s department of Maryland Technology Consulting (MTC), your next task in developing your Business Analysis and System Recommendation (BA&SR) Report is to conduct a process analysis. This will identify how the current manual process is working and what improvements could be made to the process that would be supported by a technology solution.
Assignment – BA&SR: Section II.Process Analysis
The first step is to review any feedback from Stage 1 to help improve the effectiveness of your overall report and then add the new section to your report. Only content for Stage 2 will be graded for this submission. Part of the grading criteria for Stage 4 includes evaluating if the document is a very effective and cohesive assemblage of the four sections, is well formatted and flows smoothly from one section to the next. For this assignment, you will add Section II of the Business Analysis and System Recommendation (BA&SR) Report to Section I. You will conduct an analysis of the current hiring process and present information on expected business improvements. This analysis lays the ground work for Section III. Requirements of the BA&SR Report (Stage 3 assignment) which will identify MTC’s requirements for a system.
Using the case study, assignment instructions, Content readings, and external research, develop your Section II. Process Analysis. The case study tells you that the executives and employees at MTC have identified a need for an effective and efficient hiring system. As you review the case study, use the assignment instructions to take notes to assist in your analysis. As the stakeholders provide their needs and expectations to improve the process, identify steps that could be improved with the support of a hiring system. Also look for examples of issues and problems that can be improved with a technology solution.
Use the outline format, headings and tables provided and follow all formatting instructions below.
Begin with your Section I (Stage 1 assignment) and add Section II. Apply specific information from the case study to address each area along with relevant supporting research.
- Process Analysis
- Hiring Process
At the beginning of this section, write an introductory opening sentence for this section that addresses what the complete table provides. Refer to Week 3 and 4 content on processes and analyzing process improvements. Additional research can expand your knowledge of these areas.
The first step in analyzing the process is to document what the current process steps are and who is responsible for doing them. Therefore, the table provides the current steps in the manual hiring process provided by the case study. Remember, a process is a series of steps to perform a task; therefore, think about what the users are doing as part of the hiring process. Retain the as-is process steps provided; do not remove or revise these. Complete the second column by identifying the stakeholder responsible for this step based on the interviews in the MTC Case.
The next step is to identify how a hiring or applicant tracking systemcould improve each step in the process and how the business will benefit from that improvement. For each of the as-is process steps provided, complete the To-Be Process column in the table.indicating how this step in the process will be done using the hiring or applicant tracking system.For each process step, the statement should be concise and include an action verb and align with improving or replacing the current manual, as-is process step provided. Then complete the Business Benefits of the Improved Process column by explaining how this part of the process can contribute to the overall business strategy– think at a higher level than the specific process step. Review the examples provided in the Hiring Process table. For each to-be process step, identify the result of using the system, as shown in the two examples. While it is truethat the system will speed up each step of the process, think about how MTCwould benefit more strategically from using an automated system to perform that step.
The first row and last rows have been completed for you as an example and must be retained and not revised.Be sure your table contains a total of 12 steps. Use the examples to help you provide clear to-be process steps and business benefits. Your responses should be written in complete sentences.
|MTC Hiring Process
|Responsible MTC Position
|To-Be Process – How the system Will Support and Improvethe hiring process
|Business Benefits of Improved Process (Align with MTC’s overall business strategy and needs.)
|1. Recruiter receives application from job hunter via Postal Service Mail.
EXAMPLE PROVIDED – (Retain text as #1 but remove this label and gray shading in your report)
|System will receive application via on-line submission through MTC Employment Website and store in the applicant database within the hiring system.
|A more efficient submission process decreases time needed to receive and begin processing applications. This will present a positive image to potential employees and help MTC compete for top IT talent.
|2. Recruiter screens resumes to identify top candidates by matching with job requirements from job description.
|3. Recruiter forwards top candidates to Administrative Assistant via interoffice mail
|4. Administrative Assistant forwards candidates’ resumes and applications to hiring manager for the position via interoffice mail.
|5. Hiring Manager reviews applications and selects who he/she wants to interview.
|6. Hiring Manager sends email to Administrative Assistant on who he/she has selected to interview and identifies members of the interview team.
|7. AA schedules interviews by contacting interview team members and hiring manager to identify possible time slots
|8. AA emails candidates to schedule interviews.
|9. Interview is conducted with candidate, hiring manager and other members of the interview team.
|Hiring Manager and Interview Team
|Interview is conducted with candidate, hiring manager and other members of the interview team. (Hiring System is not used for this step.)
|10. AA collects feedback from interviews and status of candidates
|11. Hiring manager informs the AA on his top candidate for hiring
|12. Administrative Assistant prepares offer letter based on information from recruiter and puts in the mail to the chosen candidate.
EXAMPLE PROVIDED – (Retain text as #12 but remove this label and gray shading in your report)
|System enables AA to prepare job offer letter by storing the offer letter template and information on each candidate; allows AA to select information to go into letter and put it into the template, which can then be reviewed and emailed to the candidate.
|More efficient offer process presents positive image to applicants and decreases time needed to prepare offer letter, and enablesMTC to hire in advance of the competition.
- Expected Improvements – As noted in the case study, there are a lot of manual processes, overwhelming paperwork, difficulty scheduling interviews, etc. related to MTC’s current manual hiring process. A technology solution can address many of these issues. For each of the areas listed in the table below, provide an example of an issue from the case study and how a technology solution could be used to improve that area. Issues and improvements should be addressed in 1-2 clear, complete sentences with information incorporated from the case study. The first one is provided as an example.Note: This is not about the stakeholders’ wishes or expectations for the new system but identifying the current issues they have. Some may be explicitly stated in the interviews and for others you may need to apply some critical thinking. (Provide an introductory sentence and copy the table and insert information within.) For explanations of these areas, refer to Week 4 content on analyzing process improvements.Additional research can expand your knowledge of these areas.
(from the Case Study)
(due to use of technology)
(Retain text but remove this label and gray shading in your report)
|The Hiring Manager states that recruiting is only one area he is responsible for and he isn’t as responsive to HR as he could be. Therefore, he counts on the Recruiters to help manage the process and keep him informed.
Current manual system causes considerable communication breakdowns and takes additional effort and time to stay on top of the hiring process.
|An efficient system with all information in one place, easily accessible via a dashboard, and updated in real time could make his recruiting job easier; and he could devote time to effectively working collaboratively and proactively with HR on his staffing needs.
|Communications: Explain how a hiring system could improve internal and external communications
|Workflow: Explain how a hiring system could improve the MTC hiring process by providing a consistent structure for each participant to perform his/her part in the hiring process.
|Relationships: Explain how implementing an enterprise hiring system could foster stronger relationships withapplicants/potential employees.
Formatting Your Assignment
Consider your audience – you are writing in the role of anMTC business analyst and your audience is MTC and your boss, the CIO. Don’t discuss MTC as if the reader has no knowledge of the organization. Use third person consistently throughout the report.In third person, the writer avoids the pronouns I, we, my, and ours. The third person is used to make the writing more objective by taking the individual, the “self,” out of the writing. This method is very helpful for effective business writing, a form in which facts, not opinion, drive the tone of the text. Writing in the third person allows the writer to come across as unbiased and thus more informed.
- In Stage 2, you are preparing the second part of a 4-stage report. Use the structure, headings, and outline format provided here for your report. Use the numbering/lettering in the assignment instructions as shown below.
- Process Analysis
- Hiring Process
- Expected Improvements
- Begin with Section I, considering any feedback received, and add to it Section II.
- Write a short concise paper: Use the recommendations provided in each area for length of response. It’s important to value quality over quantity. Section II should not exceed 3 pages.
- Content areas should be double spaced; table entries should be single-spaced.
- To copy a table: Move your cursor to the table, then click on the small box that appears at the upper left corner of the table to highlight the table; right click and COPY the table; put the cursor in your paper where you want the table and right click and PASTE the table.
- Ensure that each of the tables is preceded by an introductory sentence that explains what is contained in the table, so the reader understands why the table has been included.
- Continue to use thetitle pagecreated in Stage 1 that includes: The title of report, company name, your name, Course and Section Number, and date of this
- Use at least two resources with APA formatted citation and reference for this Stage 2 assignment. Use at least one external reference and one from the course content. Course content should be from the class reading content, not the assignment instructions or case study itself. For information on APA format, refer to Content>Course Resources>Writing Resources.
- Add the references required for this assignment to the Reference Page. Additional research in the next stages will be added to this as you build the report.The final document should contain all references from all stages appropriately formatted and alphabetized.
- Running headers are not required for this report.
- Compare your work to the Grading Rubric below to be sure you have met content and quality criteria.
- Submit your paper as a Word document, or a document that can be read in Word. Keep tables in Word format – do not paste in graphics.
- Your submission should include your last name first in the filename:Lastname_firstname_Stage_2