Community health care in nursing and midwifery practice
|Assessment||• Grant application|
|Due Dates: Week 12 Friday 22nd May 2020|
|Submitted through Turnitin at 0900 hrs|
|This unit will enable students to develop knowledge and skills in this increasingly important area of|
|nursing and midwifery practice. Primary Health Care theory, including health education, health|
|Subject.||promotion and behaviour-change models will be studied. Students will learn how to access and|
|analyse epidemiological health data, in order to identify the health needs of communities and|
|incorporate these into nursing and midwifery practice. The skills needed to plan health promotion|
|activities in order to encourage good health and meet community health needs will be examined.|
|An important aspect of this unit is the consideration of how good health can be encouraged within|
|the role of nurses and midwives for individuals, families and communities and across all ages and|
|cultures. The unit will have a wide geographical focus and will include local, national and|
|international examples of Primary Health Care.|
|Learning||On completion of this unit students should be able to:|
|Outcomes||1.||Evaluate epidemiological data to determine community health needs and socio-ecological|
|determinants of health.|
|this paper||2.||Plan theoretical Primary Health Care activities and strategies to meet identified|
|is LO 2 and 4||community health needs.|
- Apply the concepts of health promotion, education and disease prevention across the lifespan and within different cultures and populations.
- Critically appraise the relevance of Primary Health Care and inter-professional collaboration to the changing health needs of the Australian population.
- Public health care system / nurses’ and midwives’ role in the future of healthcare / policy /NSQHS.
- Empowerment – socio-ecological determinants of health / social justice, community development.
- Epidemiological data / community assessment.
- Health promotion / nursing and midwifery educational interventions and opportunities.
- Health assessment and screening / immunisations, sexual health.
- Inter-professional collaboration: community / primary care.
- Grant applications.
NUM3511 Sem 1. 2020 C. Squire
- Using the health issue nominated for your target group in your second Task assignment.
- Write a 2000 word essay that outlines a health promotion program /activity that demonstrates PHC principles in the community setting and could be used to support a grant application.
- This must focus on One level of PHC i.e. screening, prevention or rehab/support- see levels of PHC.
The aim of this assessment is to evaluate your application of health promotion principles and is based on the Health way WA Guidelines.
The 5K or less template provided at the above link may be useful to assist you to
of your essay conceptualise the grant application process. [DO NOT INCLUDE THIS IN YOUR ASSIGNMENT].
- Research programs that are currently in use that address the health issue you identified in Ass 2
- Write a summary of your first assignment to highlight your health issue and link this to PHC principles ( PHC priority areas, Health Dept priority areas, Ottawa charter).
- Describe your health promotion activity incorporating its strengths and weaknesses at the same time analysing how it might be used across other health issues.
- Set your objectives (SMART or RUMBA), at least three that will be used to develop your program and assist you to achieve your goal. That of improving /screening / preventing /supporting your target group with the selected health issue.
- As part of this process it is necessary to demonstrate interprofessional collaboration and acknowledge the key groups and individuals that are involved in making your project a success.
- Interprofessional practice/collaboration is a significant aspect of nursing practice RN Standards for Practice (Standard 2: Engages in therapeutic and professional relationships) and the Midwife standards for practice. (Standard 2 Engages in professional relationships and respectful partnerships). https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Codes-Guidelines-Statements/Professional-standards.aspx
- A summary of the sustainability of the program that considers its impact, viability and time frames as well as recommendations for future use and/or disposal of assets that may be necessary.
|The submitted work will include:|
|Submitted||1.||Title: Includes Proposed program, health issue and target population|
|3.||Population and health issue.|
|6.||Working in partnerships|
|8.||End Text reference list.|
|Refer to the marking criteria and SNM marking rubric to guide your work.|
|The essay is to be submitted through Turnitin.|
|Format||This essay is to be written in third person and formatted as per School of Nursing|
|and Midwifery, ‘Assignment Writing Guidelines’. These are located in the|
|The SNM rubric will be used to assess your submission and criteria are provided below|
|to assist you with the requirements of this essay.|
|•||Relates to the demonstrated understanding of PHC through development of|
|Marking||•||health promotion program and grant proposal.|
|Criteria.||Evidence of your knowledge through use of research and data that identifies key|
|health needs of a given community.|
|•||Is supported by your learning, your research and knowledge of your professional|
|•||Demonstrated research. (as per the assignment guidelines).|
|•||Analysis of the data and theoretical content.|
|•||Application to practice.|
|Structure and presentation:|
|•||As per the assignment requirements as well as SNM guidelines.|
|•||Clear introduction to the topic.|
|•||Well defined sentence structure and paragraph formation leading to a cohesive|
|development and comprehensive discussion of ideas.|
|•||Conclusion that restates the main ideas and summarises the discussion.|
|Community health care in nursing and midwifery practice|
Work must be both In and End text referenced using APA 6th edition format. The essay requires a minimum of fifteen (15) quality citations (peer reviewed) journals, (not more than 7 years old), academic texts and quality web sites i.e. Government (NOT Wikipaedia ). In addition, these can be supplemented with general websites i.e. Lifeline, Cancer Council, Diabetes Australia as well as citations from relevant sources (news items, films and professional documents).
English Language Proficiency:
- As per ECU requirements ( see SNM marking rubric attached).
Grellier, J., & Goerke, V. (2010). Communications Skills Toolkit: Unlocking the
secrets of tertiary success. (2nd ed.). Melbourne, Australia: Cengage Learning:
Referencing: Library website
Library: Nursing Library Guide
Academic Skills: Learning Support