Context of Mental Health Nursing
- An individual 2500 word written assignment.
- You are required to reference correctly, using the APA reference style;
Please email the course coordinator/post on the Course Discussion Threads regarding any queries on the assignment topics.
In keeping with RMIT policy all assignments are to be submitted through the Turnitin Portal available via the course webpage.
The assignment is due by 23:59 on Sunday night: the portal will remain open until this time however after the portal closes you will not be able to submit your assignment so please make sure that it is submitted by 23:59.
The Turnitin portal will open 4 weeks prior to the assignment due date to allow you to submit your assignment. You are allowed to submit it as many times as you would like up until 23:59; the assignment I will receive to mark will be the LAST one you submitted.
|Context of Mental Health Nursing||2|
Discipline of Nursing
Task to be undertaken:
Read the following instructions carefully in order to complete this part of the assessment for this course.
Select one of the following three tasks for your assignment:
Jess is 26 years old female and was diagnosed with schizophrenia at the age of 20. She has a past history of accidental injury due to acting on delusional beliefs, hospitalisations for excessive use of alcohol and cannibis since teenage years. She has been able to successfully live with parents with support from NDIS disability workers and a local GP practice in the last 12 months. Her family history was significant for schizophrenia. Jess reported abusive behaviour by her grandmother, who was her primary caretaker as a child.
Examine and critically analyse three theories of the aetiology of schizophrenia relating to Jess, and implications for mental health nursing practice.
Saif is a 29 year old Iraqi female refugee resettled in Melbourne three years ago, who presented with symptoms of depression in the last three months. Saif is a stay at home mother. She picks up the children from the local school in the afternoon and she is breastfeeding her youngest child who is 3 months old. Saif described that she felt sad “all the time”, had trouble sleeping which often took her several hours to fall asleep, that some nights she could not fall asleep at all. Saif stated that she spent time at night “thinking” and “worrying” that she is not a good mother. She reported that she has hard time adjusting to the new environment due to language barrier and would be nice to run away from her problems.
|Context of Mental Health Nursing||3|
Discipline of Nursing
- There are many aspects to be considered in the treatment of depression. Critically discuss the principles which govern the treatment choices of Saif’s depression, and mental health nurses’ role in supporting her recovery.
The DSM-5 was released in May of 2013 and includes a wide variety of changes and modifications to the way in which we diagnose mental illness. Choose any three of these significant changes and critically discuss the impact this will have for both mental health clinicians and well as mental health care consumers.
- 1” margins on all sides of page with double spaced in 12 point Times New Roman in WORD format. You are required to comply with set work limits, deviations beyond 10% either way maybe penalized (do not count the words in your reference list but do count the words used in in-text citations).
- You are required to structure your case study in the same way as an academic essay, with an introduction, body paragraph and a conclusion.
- Submitting assignment in accordance with APA 6th or 7th referencing style.
- You need to check your assignment Turnitin report which is available within 24 hours after submission (multiple submissions are allowed up until the due date and time) to ensure that your plagiarism report is no more than 10% (excluding reference list ).
- Regardless of the topic you choose you will need to refer to the contemporary literature throughout your essay to support your arguments. You need to use at least 15 evidence based sources.
|Context of Mental Health Nursing||4|
Discipline of Nursing
- Please post all questions up on the Course Discussion Boards as this will allow all students to benefit from the answers.
- In keeping with RMIT policy all assignments are to be submitted through the Turnitin Portal available via the course webpage:
The assignment is due by 23:59 on Sunday night: the portal will remain open for a week past the due date to allow students with Extensions to submit however the time you submitted your work is recorded on the system so please make sure that it is submitted by 23:59. The Turnitin portal will open 4 weeks prior to the assignment due date to allow you to submit your assignment. You are allowed to submit it as many times as you would like up until 23:59; the assignment I will receive to mark will be the LAST one you submitted.
- There is no need for a University cover sheet with electronic submissions as I will mark it off the screen and your mark will be released to you with the paper and feedback.
- Finally, you must make sure your assignment is written in 3rd person past tense and uses headings. No use of I, me, my etc. This is a critical assignment that requires that you use the literature effectively and think about how the literature informs your practice in the given scenario.