Marketing: Principles of Advertisement
Marketing 131 Final Exam
DUE BY EMAIL IN PDF FORMAT NO LATER THAN TUESDAY, MAY 12 AT 12:30PM
The following is a framework to help you organize your thoughts. The length of your write up should be 5-7 pages. Try to be concise, as long as, brevity demonstrates that you gave the topic a great deal of thought (e.g. don’t repeat yourself). You are welcome (and for promotional examples will probably need) to use supportive articles. Include clickable links for those.
What is required is that you watch advertising that has aired in the past year that we have not discussed in class. You may also use radio, on-line advertisements and print advertisements. In many cases brands advertise in multiple places and use integrated brand promotion. You must find a brand that has used at three different categories of advertising / promotion activities from the last 52 weeks. Activities must be consumer focused such as other digital activities, event marketing, promotional tie-in, public relations, Twitter, influencer, etc. BUT there must be at least one video advertisement.
- Name of Brand Chosen and the category you are exploring (i.e. some brands participate in multiple categories. For example, Clorox is a bleach brand for laundry, but it also sells a variety of cleaning products (for the home, Clorox markets wipes, bathroom cleaners, toilet cleaners, mops, etc.) If you were choosing Clorox Wipes (which you can’t because I am using Clorox as an example for class), then you wouldn’t be discussing bleach for the laundry or industrial products.
o Here is the Clorox ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDBeTy9FYk4
- An example of the brand’s video advertising. You must include a link that I can click on to watch an advertisement. What do you think the advertising is seeking to accomplish in terms of:
o Who is the primary consumer target? Really think this through to psychographic
- emotional / not just an age demo. (Clorox wipes targets the germaphobe. For this consumer, cleared off is insufficient; surfaces must be cleaned of germs.)
- What positioning does the brand seeks to communicate?
- What is the creative approach? (Communications strategy/style of advertising/use of music or sound effects) What is it trying to get across?
- Is there anything you believe is a mandatory the brand insists appears in their advertising (like a sound branding element (Clorox has a strong brand sound to communicate power/efficacy)). Do you think it adds or detracts from the message and why?
WE ARE HAPPY TO SERVE YOU
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER
In essence, you are deducing key information that would be in a Creative Brief.
- Now provide a review of two other integrated A&P components. (I would prefer another ad format and / or promotional examples BUT if you choose another video ad make sure they are part of an integrated advertising campaign NOT a new campaign.) Again, provide clickable links, or in an appropriate size, copy & paste picture(s) into your document.
- How are each of these other advertising or promotional examples supportive of the message about the brand from the primary advertising?
- Media Strategy: Review the media channels used by the brand and comment if you believe they are choosing the right vehicles based upon the Creative Strategy (Brief) you deduced from above.
- Digital & Social Media: Review the brand’s digital and social media efforts, and provide comments on whether or not you think they are supportive or detracting or deficient in supporting the brand message.
- Competitive Ad. You should compare your brand’s primary advertising message and style to a competitor’s video advertising message. Provide a clickable link. Is the competition using similar or different target, positioning, media message, and media vehicles? Since brand Clorox is off the table for your final, let’s say their competitor is Lysol Wipes. Lysol is another cleaning brand with a portfolio of branded institutional and home products. What is the competitor’s positioning? For example, in advertising for Lysol Wipes, the focus is more towards convenience, family friendliness, and good scent. Lysol’s target wants a clean house, but clean surfaces aren’t the primary focus of their busy lives. Here is the Lysol ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlXRPdt2Viw
INCLUDE YOUR NAME & THE BRAND IN NAME OF THE PDF YOU EMAIL ME.
INCLUDE KEY LINKS.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR PDF IS IN THE PROPER ORDER (Mac MS Word users in particular)
GRAMMAR AND SPELLING COUNT. Try to avoid past present phrases like has been because that is a washed-up celebrity.
I WILL GRADE BASED UPON HOW WELL YOU ANSWER THE QUESTIONS. THERE IS NO CURVE, BUT I WILL COMPARE YOUR PAPER TO OTHERS. REMEMBER THIS IS A FINAL EXAM AND DO THE PREP WORK BEFORE YOU WRITE. COMPOSING OFF THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD AS A STREAM OF THOUGHT WILL BE PENALIZED.