Online/Remote/e-Learning using Multi-Media Activities
Assessment Briefing Report
Assessment code: 011
Academic Year: 2019-2020
Module Title: Managing Human Resources
Module Code: MOD003486
Module Leader: Andrew Johnson
Word Limit: 1,000 words
Friday, 22 May 2020, 2pm
WRITING YOUR ASSIGNMENT:
• This assignment must be completed individually.
• You must use the Harvard referencing system.
• Your work must indicate the number of words you have used. Written assignments must not
exceed the specified maximum number of words. When a written assignment is marked, the
excessive use of words beyond the word limit is reflected in the academic judgement of the piece of
work which results in a lower mark being awarded for the piece of work (regulation 6.74).
• Assignment submissions are to be made anonymously. Do not write your name anywhere on
• Write your student ID number at the top of every page.
• Where the assignment comprises more than one task, all tasks must be submitted in a single
• You must number all pages.
SUBMITTING YOUR ASSIGNMENT:
In order to achieve full marks, you must submit your work before the deadline. Work that is submitted
late – up to five working days after the published submission deadline – will be accepted and
marked. However, the element of the module’s assessment to which the work contributes will be
capped with a maximum mark of 40%.
Work cannot be submitted if the period of 5 working days after the deadline has passed (unless there
is an approved extension). Failure to submit within the relevant period will mean that you have failed
Requests for short-term extensions will only be considered in the case of illness or other cause
considered valid by the iCentre Adviser. Please contact iCentre@lca.anglia.ac.uk. A request must
normally be received and agreed by the iCentre Adviser in writing at least 24 hours prior to the
deadline. See rules 6.56-6.65: http://web.anglia.ac.uk/anet/academic/public/academic_regs.pdf
You are a member of the HRM department in a large customer service organisation
with 3,000 employees, based in the United Kingdom. In the last 18 months, the
organisation has experienced a number of problems. There has been a downturn in
productivity, profitability, and customer satisfaction. In addition, your department has
noted an increasing turnover in staff, and difficulty in recruiting the right talent
needed. A number of staff surveys have indicated that employees do not feel that
they are properly trained for many of their day-to-day tasks, and that they feel that
the organisation takes little interest in their long-term development. The board
believes that this could be one of the root causes of the organisation’s recent
The Managing Director and the Board are considering the implementation of
systematic staff development across the organisation, and intend to conduct a
special board meeting to discuss possible approaches to training and developing the
Your Head of HR has allocated the training and development approach listed below
to present to the management board. You are required to research your allocated
training and development approach and present information on the specific aspects
Unfortunately, due to the measures currently being undertaken to lessen the spread
of COVID-19, the Board has decided to cancel the meeting and have instead
requested that you complete a 1,000-word briefing note on the topic below.
Please include a Harvard compliant reference list after your briefing note
(which is excluded from the wordcount).
Briefing: Online/Remote/e-Learning using Multi-Media Activities (Banfield, Kay
and Royals (2018) p.347)
Research and brief the board on the following aspects of this approach:
• A general overview of this approach, and the typical types of activity that
might be included within it.
• The advantages that this approach might offer to the organisation.
• How this approach might address specific learning styles amongst
• Any disadvantages or risks approach might present.
• Any budgeting considerations that should be borne in mind.
• Any internal or external factors that may impact on implementing this
• Examples of how other organisations use this approach successfully.
• A brief summary of the key reasons for adopting this approach.
You are expected to demonstrate a clear, deep understanding of the training and
development approach you have been tasked to research and present.
1,000 words will only allow you to include a certain amount of information, therefore,
you should focus on delivering concise and precise briefings on the aspects of the
training and development approach you have chosen to present.