Sample Research Essay delivered on WIKI
Sample Research Essay delivered on WIKI
Assessment Three continues on with the SAME TOPIC as Assessment Two, and moves on to evaluate your ability to think critically, research, and write about your area of developing expertise on your topic.
It comprises the written component of assessment in this unit, and as such, we will be assessing your ability to write in an academic style, to reference appropriately and correctly using APA guidelines, and to develop an argument, thesis, and case for your topic.
We refer you to the extensive Learning Support Tools on Blackboard, and available via the Library, to assist you with writing in an academic style and format to present in-depth research and analysis on the topic you selected for Assessment Two.
You MUST run the work through Turnitin prior to posting on your shared WIKI site. If your work is found to be plagiarized in any way, shape, or form, you will have to meet with our Plagiarism Officer, and bear the consequences of cheating at QUT. Very often, this means being excluded from the University and being unable to complete your degree. Please see my special notes on Academic Integrity on Assessment link for BB for the PUN106 Unit.
You will use the following guidelines below to help guide the structure of your INDIVIDUAL research report. Once you have completed your work, and put the work through Turnitin, your group must post all four contributions on your WIKI on Blackboard. You will be given instructions on how to do this closer to the due date.
Draft and save your work in a word document as you progress your research and writing on this project throughout the semester. You only need to paste the work onto the WIKI prior to the due date of 5th June 2020.
Guidelines for Structure and Content of Research Essay:
Introduction: (approx. 500 words)
- Introduce your population group. Give brief outline of their historical geographical locations, their cultural and religious practices, and their dietary preferences. Note any great shifts in location, culture, religion, and diet – and whether these are due to forced changes in circumstances, and globalization.
- Outline the social, economic, and health inequalities experienced by the group using descriptive statistics from recent, reliable sources.
- Introduce your social determinant, and what your essay will do, using ‘This essay will firstly, secondly, thirdly, and so on.’
Address the following three key questions in the body of your research. Every paragraph must be referenced throughout, with recent, reliable, peer-reviewed sources:
- How does this social determinant interact with other upstream, midstream and downstream variables in this culture/population to impact health outcomes? (approx. 1000 words)
Use the following conceptual model to discuss how your social determinant interacts with the variables in each column to influence health outcomes for the group. You will need to discuss the other social determinants (upstream), health related behaviours and psychosocial experiences (midstream) and the impacts of these on morbidity and mortality (downstream).
- What is currently being done to address this determinant within the selected population? (approx. 500 words)
Research and report on the health promotion campaigns, interventions, and policies that have been implemented to try and improve the health of this group. Have there been significant points in history where things improved for these people? Who led the political action behind the best innovations and progress? What worked? What didn’t?
- Based on your research, what would you recommend be added to current efforts underway to improve the health of this group? (approx. 250 words)
Having reviewed the research on what has worked, and what has not, and what the upstream, midstream, and downstream factors are driving the progress – where do you think the points of focus for health policy and practice should be?
Conclusion: (approx. 250 words)- Sample Research Essay delivered on WIKI
- Critically analyse the current state of health for your group in light of all the difficulties and challenges they have faced.
- Briefly summarise the trajectory for this group in terms of experiencing disadvantage, and their journey to the current day.
- What progress has been made? What more is there left to do?
- Where should the government focus its policies for this group to achieve social, economic, and health equality, and cultural safety?