Social Causes of SuicideBy Support
Social Causes of Suicide
The Sociological Imagination and Social Causes of Suicide
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 1
- Instructor supplied resources
- Student chosen resources (optional)
Initial Post Instructions
Sociologist C. Wright Mills preferred to call the sociological perspective the sociological imagination, and he saw it transforming personal troubles into public issues. Let us begin our discussion this week by considering suicide, which is thoroughly explored in your textbook reading for this week.
For the initial post, respond to one of the following options, and label the beginning of your post indicating either Option 1 or Option 2:
- Option 1: Do a little digging: What resources are there in your state or local community for suicide prevention? Are the resources adequate, in your view? Why or why not? How does the sociological imagination help you decide whether or not the resources are adequate?
- Option 2: Is this a “downer” topic to start a course or a textbook? If so, how would you explain the sociological imagination to a friend, in a different way? If not, why is this an important topic to help you learn about the sociological imagination?
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least one peer. If possible, respond to one peer who chose an option different than the one you chose. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification. Make sure that you add additional information and not repeat the same information already posted on the discussion board as you further the dialogue.
- Minimum of 2 posts (1 initial & 1 follow-up)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
- Minimum of 1 source cited
This activity will be graded using the Discussion Grading Rubric. Please review the rubric by clicking on the ellipsis (three dots) in the upper right-hand of this page and selecting ‘Show Rubric.’CLICK HERE TO ORDER A SOLUTION FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT