Variables, measurement, and spss
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review the Learning Resources as well as the SPSS resources found in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Review, download, and install the SPSS software on your computer using the IBM SPSS Installation and Registration document for PC or for MAC in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Using the SPSS software, open the Afrobarometer dataset or the High School Longitudinal Study dataset (whichever you choose) found in this week’s Learning Resources and then choose two variables that interest you.
For this Assignment:
Write a 1- to 2-page summary and include the following:
- Early in your Assignment, when you relate which dataset you analyzed, please include the mean of the following variables. If you are using the Afrobarometer Dataset, report the mean of Q1 (Age). If you are using the HS Long Survey Dataset, report the mean of X1SES.
- A description of what the each of the variables measure.
- A description of the unit of analysis.
- A description and explanation of the levels of measurement for each variable (i.e., nominal, ordinal, interval, ratio).
- Explain how you might conceive these variables to be used to answer a social change question. What might be the implications for social change?
Support your summary using appropriate scholarly citations and references. Use proper APA format.
IBM SPSS Software
code needed to download software: 97c92daa032c1
Wagner, III, W. E. (2020). Using IBM® SPSS® statistics for research methods and social science statistics (7th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Chapter 1, “Overview”
Frankfort-Nachmias, C., Leon-Guerrero, A., & Davis, G. (2020). Social statistics for a diverse society (9th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Chapter 1, “The What and the Why of Statistics” (pp. 1–25)